Tu Lan Expedition 4 days 3 nights
Day 1: Phong Nha - Tan Hoa Rat Cave La Ken Gibbon Cave Hung Dung
The expedition takes off with a pick up from your hotel in Phong Nha between 7:30 am and 8:00 am, before
transferring to the village of Tan Hoa. Following a comprehensive safety briefing, the trek gets underway with a hike
across peanut and buffalo fields (2.5 km), to the Nan River.
After crossing the river, the group will go through the first cave of this expedition called Rat Cave to reach La Ken valley
at around 12:00 pm. At the valley, everyone will have time to relax and enjoy a picnic-style lunch to get more energy for
After lunch, the group will start moving at 1:00 pm, and trek to Gibbon Cave a high level cave with many stalagmites
and cave pearls. This site is named for the Gibbons which sometimes visit the cave. It takes a further 90 minutes to reach
the Hung Dung campsite (around 5:30 pm) where everyone can enjoy swimming in the natural pools and enjoy a
delicious dinner at around 6:00 pm.
Day 2: Hung Dung Hung Nhai La Ken Valley Hung Ton
Breakfast starts this adventurous day around 8:00 am. Then, the expedition group will start trekking over the hill to the
next valley, followed by a short swim through a cave. There will be time to enjoy abseiling down an amazing waterfall.
Around 12:00 pm lunch will be served by the river. The group will have some time to rest and relax.
The expedition starts again at 12:30 pm after lunch. Everyone will climb over a mountain, and trek through the forest to
reach La Ken at around 4:30 pm. It will take one more hour to reach the campsite. Everyone deserves a refreshing swim
in the river, an amazing dinner with lots of food prepared by our local chef and interesting stories with our cave expert,
or games with the tour guides and porters.
Day 3: Hung Ton Tu Lan Valley Ken Cave Tu Lan dry and wet caves
The day starts with breakfast ready when you wake up. Right after breakfast, we will climb up Lom Com Mountain and
trek over some hills to reach Tu Lan Valley. We will then have some time to enjoy tea or coffee before swimming into
Ken Cave to the photo viewpoint where a famous picture of this cave was taken. After that, we will swim back to the
camp (or just let the water flow lead you back) and enjoy lunch next to the river.
After lunch, we will trek to Tu Lan Dry Cave and abseil down (10m) into the river passage of Tu Lan Wet Cave with the
support of our cave expert and tour guides. The boats are waiting for us to paddle down to the first waterfall. We can
have some time to take pictures before heading back to camp for dinner and a good sleep under the stars.
Day 4: Kim Cave Hung Ton Cave Secret Cave Tan Hoa Phong Nha
Breakfast begins the day as usual. Today will be filled with lots of different activities. First, we will enter Kim Cave via the
dry entrance, follow the dry passage to the underground river, and swim through the cave to exit into beautiful To Mo
Valley. Then, we will swim into Ton Cave, explore the dry passage and climb up the ladder to exit the cave. At Ton Cave,
we will have lunch, rest and recover.
After lunch, we will climb up to a small entrance to Secret Cave, pass through its narrow passage and enjoy spectacular
view of the fields to Tan Hoa. We will then descend, cross the Nan River, walk across the fields to head back to Tan Hoa
office. At Tan Hoa office, you will have time to take a proper shower that you have been waiting for many days, have a
cold drink, collect your luggage and be transferred to Phong Nha.
We will provide you with the following:
• Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag
• Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
• Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
• Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 38 - 46
• Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
• Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
• Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
• Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
• Katadyn (Swiss-made) water purier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle.
• Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
• First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
Please also bring with you the following:
• 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
• 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite
• 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
• 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
• 1 medium size towel
• 1 -2 pairs of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
• Small backpack for your water bottle and personal belongings
• Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries